In Memory

Arthur Joseph Strzelecki - Class Of 1947


 Arthur Joseph Strzelecki

Oct. 29, 1929 - Dec. 25, 2018

SOUTH BEND, IN - Arthur Joseph Strzelecki was given his leave from this world early Christmas morning. Art grew up in South Bend and lived in this community all his life. He was happiest when he was with his wife, Martha who survives. He liked to watch the Cubs and Bears play ball. He was a good second baseman and offensive guard on the line on his baseball and football teams at Washington High School. After graduation, Art enlisted in the Air Force and served during the Korean War reaching the rank of Master Sergeant. He liked to play golf, was a good putter, and had one hole-in-one to his credit. He was a decent bowler and bowled many years in a league with his brothers at PNA #83 on a team named Pink Elephant. He also spent time at St. Joseph Young Men's Club and American Legion Post #357. He liked to smoke cigars.

Art's father died in a car accident when Art was three years old. His mother, Mary Harmacinski Strzelecki, was left to raise the four boys. Later, Mary married the widower next door neighbor, Lucian Peczkowski, who was raising three boys on his own. Art's parents raised all seven boys in a modest west-side home filled with love. His three biological brothers, Johnny, Harry, and Benny, preceded him in death. Two of his brothers by marriage, Joe and Tommy, survive; the third, Bobby, preceded him in death.

Art fathered four children: Mike (Gayle), Lenny (Amy), Cindy (Jeff), and Becky. Their mother, Mary Fern Schneider Strzelecki, preceded Art in death as did Cindy and Becky. Art was also a kind and loving father to Martha's three children: Becky (Randy), Mark, and Kurt, all living. Art leaves behind fourteen grandchildren: Keith, Melissa, Ashley, Lauren, Emily, Nick, Christina, Andrew, Amanda, Erika, Megan, Laura, Kaya, and Miki; and one great-grandchild, Emmy.

Art worked many jobs but for most of his life was a postman, walking a daily route accompanied by a pack of friendly dogs each day. He also had his own office cleaning business, working nights and weekends. Art worked hard to provide for his family. He was proud that all seven of his children graduated from college.

In Art's later years, Alzheimer's disease was a constant companion. And, while he lost his independence, he never lost his sense of humor or his sunny outlook on life. He enjoyed arm wrestling his visitors. His caregivers loved being around him. His last words were: “Have Fun”.

Art donated his body to Indiana University School of Medicine where medical students will learn about anatomy from him. His final resting place is yet to be determined. A celebration of his life will be arranged at a later date. Prayers for his soul are encouraged and appreciated.

01/01/2019 JFC