Washington High School first opened its doors in 1938, moving to its current location on February 1, 1960. The project had been started in 1956, when the financing for the building was allocated. Approximately $4,000,000 dollars were set aside for the construction. Maurer and Maurer architectural firm was hired to build the facility, and ground breaking occurred on October 22, 1958. Since 1959, the building has undergone some changes. A second gymnasium has been added, along with updates to the athletic fields. Beginning in 2002, a massive school renovation began. The building gained many classrooms, a new lunchroom, and new gymnasium. The original school was located on West Sample St. at Humpherey's Court, after the school moved the original building served as the South Bend campus of Ivy Tech.